A brilliant sunrise over the towering dunes of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, as golden light dances upon the waves of Lake Michigan – this scene of absolute beauty and serenity perfectly encapsulates the natural allure of the Great Lake State.
Hey, fellow travelers, welcome to Michigan! This isn’t just any old state; this is the Mitten State, and trust me, it fits like a glove! Picture freshwater coastlines that stretch beyond the horizon, towns where the charm dial is cranked up to eleven, and outdoor adventures that leave you buzzing with adrenaline and begging for more. Excited? You betcha! So, buckle up as we map out our must-do list for Michigan.
The Michigan Bucket List
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore: Start your journey by tackling the towering dunes for a panoramic view of Lake Michigan. It’s the sort of view that poets write about and painters try to capture.
- Detroit Institute of Arts: Head to the Motor City and discover a world-class art collection. The Detroit Institute of Arts houses 65,000 works that span the globe and the centuries. A must-visit for all you culture vultures!
- Mackinac Island: Swap your car for a bicycle or a horse-drawn carriage in this idyllic, motor-free island. Don’t forget to try the famous Mackinac fudge!
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore: Marvel at Mother Nature’s masterpiece of mineral-streaked cliffs, waterfalls, and sand dunes on Lake Superior’s shoreline. It’s a symphony of color and form that’s best viewed from a kayak.
- Henry Ford Museum: Get up close and personal with historic artifacts that shaped America, including the limousine in which JFK was assassinated and the Rosa Parks bus.
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park: Experience the roar and the majesty of the “Root Beer Falls.” The mesmerizing amber color, caused by leached tannins, is a sight to behold.
- Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park: Wander through a stunning blend of natural and man-made beauty, featuring sculpture masterpieces, a tropical conservatory, and gorgeous themed gardens.
- Belle Isle Park, Detroit: Get lost in this 982-acre island park that offers a zoo, a conservatory, and a maritime museum, all within the Detroit River.
- Michigan’s Adventure: For those seeking a rush of adrenaline, Michigan’s largest amusement park and water park is the place to be.
- Motown Museum, Detroit: Uncover the roots of the Motown Sound in this iconic house-turned-museum where artists like Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, and the Jackson 5 made their magic.
As we wrap up our virtual tour, keep in mind that this is just the tip of the iceberg, or should I say, the top of the mitten! Michigan has a way of charming you, reeling you in with its warm Midwestern hospitality, its stunning natural beauty, and its rich tapestry of history and culture. So don’t just sit there dreaming of the Great Lakes State